Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I used to joke that...

...I wanted to get paid to travel the world and rate hotels and restaurants. It wasn't really a joke, it was just that I couldn't figure out how to go about landing my "dream" job.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to fulfill my new dream of traveling the US as a consultant to new restaurants/clubs? From concept through creation, it would give me the opportunity to combine all my years of hospitality with my passion for design.

Inspiration comes from the most unexpected places. I would like to thank a gentleman from Kansas City, whom I have never met, for posting his comment yesterday. Although I probably will never figure out how to make any money doing this, it's still nice to think about.

Without our dreams, all we are left with are nightmares.

2 comments:

  1. Dreams to Real Life

    I have no idea about the logistics of the thought I am about to throw out but it has NEVER stopped me in the past.

    I'm sure every major hotel chain has people that do exactly what you describe at their corporate office. If I was wanting to explore a career like that I would find a corporate office for a hotel chain close to you and seek out an executive and write them a letter asking for a meeting to discuss the hospitality industry and what the key requirements are to entertain a career in that area. I'd ask for 10-15 minutes of their time. (I never had one that only went that long, because something almost everyone loves to discuss is their job and their role)

    If you are as savy as I believe you are. You parlay that meeting into getting names from that person of others in the industry that may help you in your search for information. You are mining their network of executives. And so they don't feel threatened you never ask them for a job and you DO NOT provide them with a resume, unless of course THEY ASK for one. Of course you have one at the ready in your notebook that you are taking notes.

    Just think, you now have 2 or 3 more names of executives in which your can reference ______ said I should call you about your insight into the hospitality industry.

    Think of the psychology of those hyper competitive executives when you ask for names in their network. They want to impress you but they also in the back of their mind, can I afford to let this one get away to my competition?

    If you have questions write me: teamplayer@aol.com and if you need to chat I'll send you a phone number.

    Good Luck, "Knock'em Dead"

    BTW, that also happens to be the name of a book about job searching and career issues I HIGHLY reccommend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear BJ call The Old Man, he misses you...

    ReplyDelete