Monday, August 9, 2010

Prompted by....

...a recent posting, a friend suggested to me that if he were not aware of my chosen profession he would have never guessed what I do for a living. Based on sentence structure and vocabulary I obviously sound more refined and intelligent than my profession would suggest. Poppycock (I am no word smith but that's another word that's fun to say)!

This archaic thinking is a lot more common than most people realize. I have worked with someone holding a law degree, many who speaks several languages, and almost all who would never assume anything regarding a person's degree of intelligence or integrity based on their profession.

Yet we continue to encounter the bias that we are all too stupid to hold other jobs. Most people are polite and appreciative of good service, yet there are those who are dismissive and downright rude. You probably thought prejudice only applies to race, creed, religion, age, sex, and national origin.

Maybe I'll just to show y'all a thing or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment